Bayanihan Media Awards National Winner

P23.4M distributed to 2,141 SPES beneficiaries

SPES. Governor Dennis ‘Delta’ Pineda leads the distribution of SPES payout to 2,141 students in ceremonies held on June 6 at the Bren Z. Guiao Convention Center. (Pampanga PIO)

In a joint effort between the provincial government of Pampanga and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), a total of 2,141 students have received P23.4 million as part of the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES). 

The distribution ceremony took place on June 6 at the Bren Z. Guiao Convention Center, with Governor Dennis “Delta” Pineda leading the event alongside DOLE officials and provincial board members.

The payout signifies the completion of the students’ 20-day work assignments in various government offices. The allocation for SPES was given to Local Government Units (LGUs) to ensure that financially disadvantaged and deserving students across the 505 barangays in the province are accommodated.

Governor Delta emphasized the importance of using the opportunity to study as an investment for the student’s future. 

He urged them to inform their families, including their mayors and board members, about their commitment to education. He also encouraged them to consider their education as their capital for establishing their own families in the future.

Pagpilitan mi, ikaming manungkulan niyu na mabilis mipunta ing saup kekayu. Pakisabi mi di Nanay ampo reng board members yu, aryan yu ing pamagaral yu. Iyan mu ing yaman a e da pweding kunan kekayu. Gamitan yeng capital iyan king future yu potang mag-establish na kayung pamilya. Iyan ing agamit yu bang atalakad yu la reng pamilya yu,” he said.

One of the beneficiaries, John Pabustan, expressed his gratitude for the program, highlighting its significance for working students like him who must work part-time to support their studies. 

He acknowledged that the assistance provided through SPES greatly contributes to his tuition and offers financial support for his sibling’s expenses.

Each student received compensation worth P10,940. Of the total salary, the provincial government provided 60 percent (P14,053,524), while the remaining 40 percent (P9,369,016) came from DOLE’s counterpart funding.

These beneficiaries represent the second batch of SPES students for the year. The first batch of 2,500 students received their salaries on April 4.